#118 – StarCast: “Do Weird Things to Me… In Heart of the Swarm.”
“Do Weird Things to Me… In Heart of the Swarm.” – Episode #118
- HotS Beta Drops
- GSL Season 4 Groups
- TSL4 Finals Coming up
- Slayers and EG End Their Partnership
- Grubby Casting OSL
- DoghouseSystems.com StarCast is proudly sponsored by Doghouse Systems.com. If you use the code StarCast or Biscuit at checkout, you will get double memory on you next Doghouse System.
- TweakedAudio.com Go to Tweaked Audio.com for high-performance, noise-reducing ear buds. Use our code, Starcast to get 30% off plus free shipping on your order.
- SC2 QuoteoftheDay.com Daily quotes from the Starcraft 2 community. The site may suck, but the quotes are sick. Make sure to check out the quote archive, with all the quotes from your favorite Starcraft nerds!
Episode # 119
Guest: Gage “Sasquatch” Dubose of Team Complexity
Episode # 121
Guest: Conan “EG_Suppy” Liu
Heart of the Swarm Beta Invites Have Begun!
Season 1 ends today. 9/6/12
Official beta changes since last update.
- Unranked play option
- Scan range indicators for you and opponent
Workers counts on hatch/CC/nexus
Worker counts on gas building of respective race
an option at start, automatically Rally to Minerals, & starting Workers also follow that rally (default on
- Select Army Button
- New tools to make econ easier, and rewards players who use control groups and casters in there army.
- Allow selecting of uncontrolled units, auto-off
- creep tumor can be placed on ramps
- Overlord speed upgrade gives less speed
- Speed boost off-creep reduced to 25% from 50% (so now it is still slightly faster on creep)
- Overall consensus: Too little health to mass, hive tech is too late, and broods, ultras, hosts and infestors will take up all your supply
- Movement speed increased to 2.95 from 2.25
- Mid Long Range Abduct still puts the viper in danger. Great against Motherships and combo-d with neural parasite
- Combine with Fungal and banelings
- Attack speed increased to 0.8 from 1.2 (technically does 50% more damage than before)
- Range increased to 3 from 2
- Does not attack air
- Instant egg throw with a short spawn time
- spawn does as much damage as a roach, less life, 1 less range
- Enduring Locus Upgrade allows for spawn as soon as time-life runs out, 20 extra sec
- Swarm hosts are slow off creep, but great instant defense or with outside base nydus
- Charge now requires an upgrade
- Charge is about as fast as roach burrow
- Charge deals one swipe of normal attack damage upon arrival
- Frenzy has been brought back
- Has not been reduced in size
- Reaper health reverted back to 50 from 60 (it was buffed to 60 in the TvZ battle report)
- Reaper’s Combat Drugs health regeneration ability no longer requires an upgrade
- Reaper’s bonus damage to light increased to 5 from 3, making it do 18 total to light instead of 14 (4(+5) x2) (this means SCVs now take the same 3 shots to kill as probes and drones)
- Nitro packs are back in and still require factory
- With so much attention on the factory, Reapers fill the early harrasement nitch that queen speed helped to squash out of Hellions
- Widow Mine
- Detonate no longer timed
- Detonate target damage reduced to 165 from 20
- Detonate splash damage reduced to 35 from ~50 (the exactly health of an unarmored zergling)
- Ground attack increased to 10 from 8
- Redline reactor ability has been removed (temporarily doubled Battlecruiser speed)
- Quite powerful against zerg and terran since so much supply can be invested in Ground attack only armies.
- Cloaking field ability has been removed, replaced with ‘Revelation’ ability that reveals enemy cloaked units within a target area
- Preordain no longer reveals cloaked units
- 75 health per sheild on minerals
- Requires extra micro, but can bring early game econ to a stand still and force 500 minerals of towers.
- Alert sound: Harvesters under attack.
- No longer does bonus damage to massive
- Regular damage reduced to 30 from 45
- Attack speed increased to 3.3 from 6 (means it is an overall buff to damage)
- Movement speed reduced to 1.88 from 2.25
- Gravity Sling Upgrade allows for 10 range to 22 range
- Community reaction: Damage too low, speed to slow to escape. 3 corruptors beat a single capital ship.
- Mothership Core
- Looks way cooler now
- Health reduced to 150 from 350
- Shield reduced to 100 from 350
- Energize energy cost increased to 100 from 25
- Movement speed increased to 0.47 from 0 (so can now move)
- about that of the old overlords
- No longer has Teleport ability
- Purify damage reduced to 25 from 60
- Purify range reduced to 7 from 13
- Purify duration increased to 45 seconds from 20
- Vortex reverted back to affecting both ground and air units from only affecting ground units
- No longer has the Stasis ability (new ability that froze air units within an area around the Mothership including the Mothership itself for 20 seconds)
GSL Season 4 Groups: Every Group is the Group of Death
Every Group is the Group of Death
including KeSPA seeds…
GSL Season 4 groups have been posted, including KeSPA players Jaedong and Sun in Code S, as well as four others into Code A.
Special notice on MMA, MVP, MaNa and Taeja all in Group E; Jaedong, MC and MKP in Group C.
GSL Season 4
LG-IM_Seed (P) vs StarTale_SuHoSin (Z)
- Seed defended PERFECTLY in Game 1 against SuHoSin’s Baneling drops. It was a thing a beauty.
- SuHoSin played a really great standard game in Game 2. Took a solid win over Seed.
- SuHoSin LOVES Infested Terran. Very refreshing to see them used to heavily. Game 3 was a great game by both players. Seed took the win by SuHoSin deserves much respect for damn near taking the series which he was not favored in.
Player Spotlight: SuHoSin
- Known for cheesing rather often.
- Qualifies for Code A consistently (All three seasons of GSL this year).
- Made it to the Ro8 in WCG Korea 2011 National Finals.
- Leenock Fungaled Parting’s Archons in Game 1 and off’ed them with an awesome Broodlord concave.
- Game 1 turned into a weird and dirty fight around the 20 minute mark. We saw a lot more crazy Infested Terran use from Leenock and Parting damn near destroying Leenock’s army with a Mothership push. Leenock managed to just win the engagement leaving Parting with no army and no economy to rebuild.
- Parting’s Force Field micro in Game 2 was multiple perfectly-placed nails in Leenock’s Game 2 coffin.
- Parting faked out Leenock in Game 3, making him think he was going for a standard 3rd base build, and took the series with a strong Stalker push.
Group A Winner’s Series:
LG-IM Seed (P) vs StarTale_Parting (P)
- Seed won with a proxy 2-Gate in Game 1.
- JD caught MC off hardcore with Mutas in Game 1 killing all of his Sentries and Expansion. JD was on top for the whole game, it was like watching a 20 minute check mate but he didn’t know how to close the deal. JD basically GAVE his Broodlords to MC and lost the game.
- 32 Spine Crawlers
- Mass 3-2 Broodlords
- JD played well in Game 2 as well. But similarly to Game 1 he just didn’t seem to know what to do come late game.
- Game 1 was epic! Massive macro game. Mass-Thor vs Broodlord/Infestor madness.
- Nydus/Roach what!? I love seeing Nydus used in new and creative ways. Even more so when it actually WORKS!
- Curious’s Fungal/Baneling play in Game 3… wow. Killed everything MKP had.
- MC read Curious SO wrong in Game 1, going Immortal/Sentry heavy while Curious teched up to 18 Mutas.
- Saw a similar situation from Curious in Game 2. Mass-Muta to buy time for the rest of Zerg tech [in this case Infestor].
- JD kicked down MKP’s front door with an absurd amount of Roaches in Game 1
- Proxy-Rax from MKP. JD loses…
- Super close base-trade in Game 3. MKP would have lost had JD gotten Baneling speed.
- MKP’s early aggression is just barely held off by MC. MC turns the tide with a perfect concave against MKP’s contain and wins Game 1.
- MC never learned Sim City apparently because his building placement stopped his Colossi from attacking at his own natural in Game 2, costing him the game.
- MC choked totally in Game 3 and MKP moved on to Ro16. MC to Code A.
TSL4 Finals This Weekend
Creator and Life to Play Finals Offline
We took into consideration several factors when making this decision. First, we considered the players’ Code S and Code A schedules after they return to Korea, which would be after almost 40 hours of flight and travel time within four days. We feel that this amount of travel immediately before their GSL matches may affect their performance too greatly. Second, both players are minors (15 and 16 years old, respectively), and the teams have expressed concerns about them traveling by themselves.
SlayerS and EG End Their Training Partnership
SlayerS and EG announced on Saturday that they would be ending their training partnership that allowed multiple members of EG to use the SlayerS training house in South Korea. The parting appears to be on friendly terms. EG stated that they would continue to have “a strong, ongoing training and team presence in South Korea, the details of which will be released in the coming weeks.”
Grubby Casting OSL
OGN announced that Grubby and Moletrapp will be the casters for the OSL series that starts on September 4th.
- Mckeownkyii – “Soup to Nuts best SC2 Casual Show”
- Shawn Adams
You can also email the show at email@example.com or call the StarCast line at 941-882-0281.
Follow StarCast on Twitter @thestarcast
Follow Garrett on @garrettart
Follow Kyle @kylefergusson
Thanks to StarCast’s production crew OctanePro and CaptainNoobing.
Check out Kyle and I’s other show This Week in Blizz if you enjoy Diablo, WoW and StarCraft.